Level 1 training will be held May-September 2017, with exams given in the fall.
You may apply for certification and then signup for classes once your application is approved.
Who should get certified?
We seek to include a broad array of professionals whose work focuses on conservation and sustainable best practices in the landscape.
- Arborists and Foresters
- Green Infrastructure, Low Impact Development (LID), Stormwater Professionals
- Grounds Managers
- Integrated pest management (IPM) technicians or licensed pesticide applicators
- Landscape architects and designers
- Horticulturists, Landscape contractors and technicians
- Nutrient management (fertilizer) planners or certified applicators
- Soil and Environmental Scientists
- Urban Planners
- and Other Related Professionals
CBLP Offers Two Levels Of Certification:
Level 1 is a baseline credential in design, installation, and maintenance of sustainable landscapes, with emphasis on how to properly maintain stormwater best management practices.
Level 1 consists of a two-day class, access to our online webinar series, and a written exam. The class incorporates interactive classroom instruction on conservation landscaping topics, including stormwater best management practices., with a field-based practicum.
Candidates seeking certification at this level must have at least one of the following qualifications:
1. Professional Work Experience in Landscaping or Related Field
2. A Degree or Certificate in Related Field of Study, Such As:
- Environmental or soil science
- Horticulture or plant science
- Landscape architecture
3. A Professional Certification Which Requires Continuing Education to Maintain the Credential, Such As:
- Green infrastructure or low impact development (LID) practices
- Grounds management
- Integrated pest management (IPM) or licensed pesticide application
- Landscape design
- Landscape technology
- Nutrient management (fertilizer) planning
Level 1 Study Guide – This study guide provides an outline of content that will be covered on the Level 1 Exam. Available through a downloadable PDF.
Level 1 Sustainable Landscape Management Manual – Download this free PDF to prepare for the Level 1 Training Class.
The Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional Level 1 program includes a two-day training class, materials for independent study, and a written exam.
Online Webinar Series – included in Level 1 registration fee – also available for a fee to those not seeking certification- View full list of webinar options.
Required Two-Day Training Class
Required Written Exam
Level 2 is an advanced credential for experienced Professionals, in design or installation of conservation landscapes. An emphasis is put on the small-scale stormwater retrofits also known as residential stewardship practices.
Certification candidates for Level 2 must have a Level 1 certification and must demonstrate previous experience in design and/or installation of sustainable landscapes.
3-day Intensive Seminar – Level 2 candidates must hold the Level 1 credential, provide verification of experience designing or installing stormwater practices, and then complete the required 3-Day Intensive Seminar.
Level 2 Study Guide – This study guide provides an outline of content that will be covered on the Level 2 Intensive Seminar. Download this free PDF to prepare.