Level 1 training will be held June-September 2018, with exams given July – October.
You may apply for certification and then signup for classes once your application is approved.
Who should get certified?
We seek to include a broad array of professionals whose work focuses on conservation and sustainable best practices in the landscape.
- Arborists and Foresters
- Green Infrastructure, Low Impact Development (LID), Stormwater Professionals
- Grounds Managers and other maintenance professionals
- Integrated pest management (IPM) technicians or licensed pesticide applicators
- Landscape architects and designers
- Landscape contractors and technicians
- Nutrient management (fertilizer) planners
- Soil and Environmental Scientists
- Urban Planners
- Other Related Professionals
CBLP Offers Two Levels Of Certification:
Level 1 is a baseline credential in design, installation, and maintenance of sustainable landscapes, with emphasis on how to properly maintain stormwater best management practices.
Level 1 consists of a two-day class, access to our online webinar series, and a written exam. The class incorporates interactive classroom instruction on conservation landscaping topics (soils, native plants, habitat, natural communities, and invasive plant management) and stormwater best management practices (BMPs), with a field-based practicum. Level 1 also teaches visual inspection and verification of BMPs.
Candidates seeking certification at this level must have at least one of the following qualifications:
1. Professional Work Experience in Landscaping or Related Field
2. A Degree or Certificate in Related Field of Study, Such As:
- Environmental or soil science
- Horticulture or plant science
- Landscape architecture
3. A Professional Certification Which Requires Continuing Education to Maintain the Credential, Such As:
- Green infrastructure or low impact development (LID) practices
- Grounds management
- Integrated pest management (IPM) or licensed pesticide application
- Landscape design
- Landscape technology
- Nutrient management (fertilizer) planning
Level 1 Study Guide – This study guide provides an outline of content that will be covered on the Level 1 Exam. Available through a downloadable PDF.
Level 1 Sustainable Landscape Management Manual – Download this free PDF to prepare for the Level 1 Training Class.
The Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional Level 1 program includes a two-day training class, materials for independent study, and a written exam.
Online Webinar Series – included in Level 1 registration fee – also available for a fee to those not seeking certification- View full list of webinar options.
Required Two-Day Training Class
Required Written Exam
Level 2 is an advanced credential for experienced Professionals, in design or installation of conservation landscapes. An emphasis is put on the small-scale stormwater retrofits also known as residential stewardship practices.
Certification candidates for Level 2 must have a Level 1 certification and must demonstrate previous experience in design and/or installation of sustainable landscapes.
3-day Intensive Seminar – Level 2 candidates must hold the Level 1 credential, provide verification of experience designing or installing stormwater practices, and then complete the required 3-Day Intensive Seminar.
Level 2 Study Guide – This study guide provides an outline of content that will be covered on the Level 2 Intensive Seminar. Download this free PDF to prepare.