- This event has passed.
River Smart Rain Barrel and Rain Garden Workshops
September 10, 2019 - September 24, 2019Free
Hello District-Area Contractors:
The next free stormwater Trainings -in English y Español- for local landscape contractors interested in becoming a participating contractor for the RiverSmart Homes Program will be held on
Rain Barrel Training: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 (rain date Sept. 17)
Rain Garden Training: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 (rain date Oct. 1)
Who is eligible to attend?
Everyone. You do not need previous experience in rain garden installations to attend, but in order to become a RiverSmart Homes contractor, you will be required to have experience in landscape design/installation and knowledge of native plant selection for the Rain Garden Program.
You may send more than one representative from your company.
Is there a cost?
No, the training is free.
What material will be covered in the training?
The training will consist of both a classroom session and a hands-on component during the field session. The classroom session will cover the design specifications for RiverSmart Homes rain barrels, rain gardens, and administrative aspects such as project review and invoicing. We will not cover plant selection, placement, or garden design basics. During the field session, we will install a rain barrel / rain garden at one of our RiverSmart Homes sites. Please come prepared with water, gloves, boots, hat, etc.
When will the training take place?
Rain Barrel Training:
Tuesday, September 10th, 2019
- English Classroom Session: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Spanish Classroom Session: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Field Session: 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Rain Garden Training:
Tuesday, September 24th, 2019
- English Classroom Session: 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Spanish Classroom Session: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Field Session: 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Attendance at both the classroom session and field session is requiredin order to participate in the RiverSmart Homes Program as a contractor
Where will the training be held?
- Classroom Session: District Department of Energy & Environment, 1200 First St NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC (Metro: Red Line, New York Ave/Gallaudet stop)
- Field Session: RiverSmart Homes site (TBD)
Please register no later than Tuesday, September 3rd, by emailing Erin O’Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org Participation is capped at 10 participants, so RSVP early to secure your spot!
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.